Things I’ve learned in just 6 weeks of being a mommy:
1. Your capacity to LOVE can grow in ways you cannot even imagine as a parent. It is an all consuming, expansive, whole and real love. It’s a love that brings you to tears when you think about it.
2. I can be peed on, pooped on, spit up on and vomited on… and it will NOT gross me out. Crazy.
3. The smell of a newborn baby is complete and total heaven on earth.
4. We can both change a diaper in seconds, practically with our eyes closed and completely sleep deprived.
5. Speaking of diapers, what used to completely weird me out is now commonplace. For example, lifting the baby up to take a whiff of his butt to see if he has a poopie diaper is completely normal (and a time-saver). 🙂
6. You can fall in love with your spouse all over again when you watch them become a parent. It’s incredible.
7. The books, blogs, websites and well-meaning-advice-givers are all WRONG. You have instincts and you figure it out yourself.
8. Parenthood is humbling – I no longer care when leaving the house with no makeup on and hair tied up in a ridiculous knot. Because it’s not about me. And that, is awesome.
9. Seeing my son in pain or unhappy is like a dagger to my heart. I am learning what it likes to have a mother’s heart.
10. I have no time for daily drama or gossip. This has made me a much happier and healthier person inside and out.
As much as I’ve learned, I’ve also learned that I know NOTHING yet and will learn each and every day. And that excites me.
And so does this: