I cannot believe that we are almost wrapping up August. This summer is absolutely flying by! I may not say that on our triple digit temperature days, but on the whole, I feel like summer is just whisking by. With that, I leave you with my August faves!
1. I know for a fact that I am not the only one completely obsessed with Duck Dynasty right now, if my Facebook feed is any indicator. How can you not love these guys? The show is absolutely hilarious. Like, laugh out loud, funny! It takes a lot for me to physically laugh out loud (despite my rampant use of LOL in texting) but this show does it every time. Just about every time I watch, I claim that a different person is my favorite, though Uncle Si is consistent my favorite and the one that makes me crack up. That guy is sooooo funny! The hubbs and I have taken on his common phrases and can often be heard shouting, “Hey, Jack!” “Listen now, hey!” and others. It’s a silly, ridiculous, red-necky show, but my husband and I have grown addicted to watching it and just love it. It warms my heart that they close each show with a prayer. It’s good to see God-fearing folks on TV still.
2. This month’s faves are quite beauty-product heavy for some weird reason. I usually tone down the beauty stuff in the summer because of the heat, but I can’t resist a few time savers like the ones I’m loving this month. The first is The Righteous Body Butter by Soap and Glory. I ADORE this stuff. Part of my post-shower routine is to always slather a ton of body lotion on right after I get out of the shower. Usually, it’s something scented (which makes our sheets smell AWESOME and makes me feel girly) but the formula usually varies from something light in the summer to something richer and thicker in the winter. This completely bunks that because it’s thick and rich (and it’s 100 degrees outside), but I’m loving what it’s doing for my summer-parched skin and I ADORE the scent. It’s hard to describe – kind of musky but fresh and citrusy at the same time. I will say that it’s a bit pricey ($20) but I love a little bit of luxury every once in a while and I think treating your skin right is really important.
3. Can I just say that I am (and always have been) OBSESSED with Sara Bareilles and her music?! Her new album The Blessed Unrest came out this month and I am addicted to listening to it over and over and over and over. Are you getting how much I’m loving it? She is an incredible songwriter, talented musician and beautiful singer. This is my JAMMM right now! I thought nothing could top her last album Kaleidoscope Heart (which was AMAZE-BALLS), but this is pretty darn close. Buy it. Listen to it. Become obsessed like I am. Yes, I know I am a freak show.
4. I’ve mentioned it in a previous post but one of my goals for 2013 was to wear lipstick more often. I’ve gotten quite lazy in recent years when it comes to lipstick, mainly because my soul-sucking job had made it hard to care about anything (yikes), but now that I have a lot more freedom and a much happier heart, I wanted to get some color on my pucker (that sounds weird and dirty). In all seriousness, it is amazing how much a lip color can brighten up your face and your eyes. I have seen a HUGE difference in the way I look and feel about myself and have gotten numerous compliments from the hubbs when I wear lipstick, particularly a bright color! Who knew? The only problem is that lipstick, if done properly with liner and a brush and all that jazz, can be really time consuming. Enter in Revlon’s ColorBurst Lip Butters. It’s like a cross between a gloss/balm and a lipstick. They apply quickly and easily with a sheer wash of color and look GORGEOUS. My favorite shades are Berry Smoothie and Peach Parfait. Busy mamas, do yourself a favor and go pick some up. Cheap (around $7 – $8) and awesome.
5. To round out the beauty picks this month, I have to talk about nail color. I have come to discover that I LOVE a painted nail. Through this last year of motherhood I’ve had very little time for girly stuff or for treating myself but I have learned to carve out a block of time, usually very late in the evening, to paint my nails. It sounds stupid, but something about having my nails done makes me feel so good, so fashionable and it just makes me feel pretty. As a busy, stressed working mama, this is very important. Mint is huge right now and I don’t really have the coloring to pull of WEARING mint colored clothing, but I’m loving the shade Mint Candy Apple by Essie. Essie polishes are hands-down the best that I have tried. The colors are richly pigmented, they dry super glossy and they LAST. I normally don’t stray too far from shades of red, pink or peach for nails, but I actually really love this candy-pastel shade. Bonus – it looks really good with accents of gold. I’m by no means a nail artists, but I painted my ring-finger nail with gold glitter and it looks so fun!