July is coming to an end. Part of me can’t believe it and part of me is thrilled as we are one more month closer to the end of this wretchedly hot summer! On the plus side, we’ve been having some fun times in Grandma’s pool and playing in the sprinklers or water in our backyard and watching Little C get a little more comfortable in water… though this mama still wants to wait another year before swim lessons. Why does that thought just terrify me? Maybe because I was terrified of water for a very long time in my younger years.
With that, I leave you with my July faves and a reminder to enter my first giveaway before Thursday…
1. I stumbled upon this SUPER cute app this month called Obaby and have been having so much fun with it. It’s very similar to the cult classic Beautiful Mess app, but tailored more towards mamas/family/kids/etc. This will come in so handy with the new baby coming. The cute “stickers” include not only milestones, but fun moments in the lives of your kids and even through pregnancy, birth and everything that comes after. The app does cost $4.99 but I felt it was worth it for a one-stop-shop to document memories. This is good if you are too lazy to get your “good camera” out but just want to capture quick moments on your phone.
2. I promise [eventually] to stop commenting on how hot it is outside. One of the things that is making this heat more bearable is this Avene Thermal Spring Water mist. I can be seen spraying this on my face, neck and chest multiple times a day. In fact, when Little C sees me doing it, he will smile and point and say “me, me, me!” and I will give him a spritz too. 🙂 It’s a wonderful way to quickly cool off, even for just a few seconds. I have the big ‘ol huge can but also love the mini cans for my purse, stroller, diaper bag, etc. I know it sounds just like water in a can (and essentially it is) but when it’s 100+ degrees outside, it’s like a mini beach vacation in a bottle.
3. My biggest guilty pleasure for the last few months has been watching Orange is The New Black on Netflix. This quirky Netflix series is all the rage right now and the show has earned multiple awards and nominations. I will say, this is my GUILTY pleasure as a LOT of the content is not suitable for young or even old viewers. Frankly, it’s not suitable for my conservative eyes either, BUT I have been drawn in by the characters and the overall concept and story. I really like original writing and what I mean by that is something NEW among all the remakes that are flooding Hollywood right now. I’m trying to stretch the episodes from Season 2 out to last the summer but I’ve been guilty of binge watching it a lot. “Just one more episode…”
4. One of my many accessories addictions is to sunglasses. I LOVE a good pair of sunglasses. They don’t have to be expensive, and they don’t have to have a particular style. I just LOVE them. And, because the sun is shining like a piercing ball of hot lava lately, I cannot be outside without them. Lately, I’ve been loving and obsessed with aviator style sunglasses. I have a weird hang-up about my face and the way it’s shaped (which is a deep seated psychological problem that I will be plagued with for some time to come… so don’t even mention it to me), but I have found that even I can look at my face objectively and say that the aviator shape is flattering to my face. My favorite pair (until just a few days ago when my son broke them!) was honestly a cheapy pair from Old Navy of all places. I don’t see them online and I bought mine in store so I’m hoping they will still have a selection in store so I can replace them.
5. I am not much for styling my hair, particularly in the summer, but I do like to keep my hair long and textured. The texture part is hard because I have VERY thick hair and it will usually pull any curl or wave out fairly easily and quickly – or – will turn into a giant ball of frizz in the
right wrong conditions. Salt sprays are all the rage for wavy, textured hair, but I could never get over how dirty they made my hair feel (I’m not one for “messy” styles). Then I found Philip B Maui Wowie Beach Mist. It is a bit pricey, I know, but for my particular hair texture, I have found it light and easy to work with to create layers that “pop”, curls that easily define and separate and just a slight hold. Bonus, it also smells wonderful… like the beach, but not like suntan lotion and salt (ewwww).
Cheers to just a few more months of summer.