Seeing as my most recent posts have been a bit on the serious side, and another serious one is in the works, I thought it would be fun to lighten it up a bit and share my current favorites. I haven’t done this in a long time! Almost a year, in looking at my recent posts! It’s hard to think of favorite things when you are often covered in spit up, poo and various other fluids. Ah, motherhood!
Since it’s been such a long time, instead of doing a monthly bit, I thought it would be fun to just jumble together all the stuff I’ve been loving this spring (and summer since, hey, summer officially starts this weekend!). Enjoy!
1. My love for Brandi Carlile’s music knows no bounds. Her newest album The Firewatcher’s Daughter is just plain incredible. Buy it. Put it on repeat. You will not be disappointed.
2. Now let’s talk about crack. Hair crack, that is. This stuff was recommended to me by my stylist as a cure-all for dry, frizzy, unhappy hair and oh, she was right. It’s a miracle worker. Work a small amount through damp hair and blow dry in. It smells great and makes hair silky and smooth. Love it.
3. I don’t wear a lot of lipstick, especially as a SAHM right now, but I do like an occasional pop of color on weekends and when I go out. I am loving Urban Decay’s entire lipstick line but for spring and summer I’m really liking their Sheer Revolution lipsticks. They give a shiny and sheer wash of color on the lips, are totally moisturizing and look great with very little effort. My favorite shade is the coral-toned Sheer Streak.
4. This one probably highlights my immature mind, but I love dude humor. Men are simple, goofy, uncomplicated and somehow also crass and crazy. When life gets really serious and really stressful, I have found comic relief in the show Impractical Jokers. The concept is basically four friends trying to humiliate each other, but I tell ya, it is laugh out loud funny. I cannot get enough.
5. One of the hardest things about motherhood to two little kiddos is the total lack of free time I have, especially during the witching hour (pretty much just before dinner time). I have found it nearly impossible to get a healthy and balanced meal on the table. Enter in Hello Fresh and my life has been saved. Every other week or so (I decide when) I get a box of super fresh ingredients and awesome recipes to create three quick and tasty meals for my family. I have not had one bad recipe yet. It has made my life mounds easier and has exposed us to some new and exciting foods. Use the code “XBRDKW” to get $40 off your first box. You will not be disappointed.
6. I don’t even think I can express in words how obsessed I have become with Sia. I had heard whispers of her in the music world but never really paid attention. Then one day I was doing some freelance work and listening to iTunes radio and the song Elastic Heart came on. I stopped what I was doing, checked to see what was playing, and that was the beginning of my love story. I immediately purchased her album 1000 Forms of Fear and have had it on pretty much constantly since then. She is weird. Like, Lady Gaga weird. BUT, so incredibly talented. Really, one of the best songwriters I’ve heard in a long time. This album is freaking incredible.
7. Yes, I have become a part of the Fitbit cult. I was looking for an easier way to track my activity (or lack thereof!) and didn’t want to have to wear a bulky pedometer as I have in the past. I have to say that this thing is pretty cool and has been an easy motivator to try and get in 10,000 steps a day. I’ve seen a noticeable difference in my health since using it. The unexpected perk has been for me to see my sleep patterns and how very badly my non-sleeping baby is affecting my sleep. I guess that’s not a perk but it’s nice to see it right there in writing, “You logged 4 hrs. 31 minutes of sleep”. As in, NOTHING!
8. HONY! If you haven’t heard that then you have no idea what an amazing obsession Humans of New York is. What started as a project to capture 10,000 portraits of New Yorkers by photographer Brandon Stanton has now grown into a book and a worldwide sensation. I dare you not to get enthralled in theses snippets of people’s stories and their photograph. The Facebook feed often has me in tears or in quiet contemplation. It is an awesome glimpse of humanity and all of the different shades, backgrounds, moments, memories and stories that build each one of us. It is brilliant.
9. With hot temps upon us I have been drawn to really simple but striking and unique jewelry. After seeing a similar pair of earrings on a friend, I was particularly drawn to ear cuff earrings and found these amazing ones by Sigalit Alcalai of Sigalita on Etsy. They are comfortable, they are gorgeous and I am pretty much going to rock them all summer long. All of her jewelry is gorgeous and is handmade in Israel. I am swooning over her work!
10. I stumbled across these adorable Alphabet Art cards by Basic Grey and the designer in me fell in love with them, but the mom in me just had to have them too. I have hung them up on a blank wall in our playroom and am just smitten by the playful illustrations and the creative interpretations of each letter of the alphabet. My favorite is probably the “Cowboy on a Cow dangling a Carrot with a Cat and a Cupcake”. You have to see them to understand how stinkin’ cute they are.